The original Bonanno Construction company was founded in 1899 by Vincent Bonanno. In 1933 Bonanno Brothers Construction Company became incorporated and operated out of offices on Tonnelle Avenue, in North Bergen. The company was run by three of Vincent Bonanno’s sons: Joseph, Sal and Thomas. They were later joined by James and Dominick. Beginning in the late 1920’s Bonanno Brothers began promoting the concept of “Custom Made Factories.” Not only were they able to take care of the architecture and engineering necessary to design the perfect new factory for a business, but they also purchased the land and arranged for the financing or leasing of the finished factory. After the death of Joseph in 1934, James V. Bonanno took over where his older brother had left off, forging relationships with the industrial leaders in New York. He convinced them that the opportunity for growth and expansion lay across the river in Bonanno’s North Jersey Industrial Terminal. Between 1922 and 1942 Bonanno Brothers completed construction of seventy-five industrial plants or warehouses totaling over 1,800,000 square feet. The buildings were primarily concentrated in North Bergen and Ridgefield, but development already had begun expanding into Weehawken, Hoboken, Union City, West New York, Englewood, Belleville, Carlstadt and Jersey City. All types of industries were drawn to this rapidly developing industrial hub just outside of New York. During this period, the typical arrangement would be for Bonanno to design and construct a building to a company’s exact specifications; and then enter into a long term lease with the company.

In the 1950’s and 60’s, as their General Contractor business continued to grow, Vincent’s grandsons, James V. Bonanno, Jr., J. Quentin Bonanno and Thomas P. Bonanno, Jr. all became involved in the family business. While at this point much of the industrial migration out of New York and into North Jersey had slowed down, the basic blueprint for success still applied. Companies chose Bonanno to build them high quality industrial and distribution facilities in the northern part of the state. With their emphasis on expert engineering and construction, Bonanno continued to erect buildings for hundreds of companies well into the 1970s.

In 1974 with the emphasis shifting away from construction and towards real estate management, Tryon Management Corp., the affiliate management company was formed by the third generation Bonannos: Jim, J. Quentin and Tom. Today Tryon Management, operating out of their office in Teaneck, continues to manage the Bonanno Real Estate Group portfolio.